Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege in Mumbai in November last year, on Wednesday requested the special court hearing the 26/11 attack case to provide him books as he was 'bored' in jail. Kasab, currently lodged in the highly-guarded Arthur Road Jail, said either the court should provide him books or allow him to buy them from his money seized by the police at the time of his arrest last year.
Prosecutors in the Mohamed Haneef probe were under 'extreme pressure' from the Australian Federal Police to charge the Indian doctor and had no access to vital evidence to judge the strength of the case against him, a public inquiry commission has been told.In a submission to the John Clarke inquiry into the bungled case of the 28-year-old medic accused of terrorism, Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions has disclosed how its officers were not supplied with evidence.
Thousands of angry supporters of deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, chanting slogans like "down with military rule", today took to the streets after Friday prayers demanding his reinstatement, as soldiers opened fire to chase them away, killing at least three people.
A special National Investigation Agency court in Mumbai on Wednesday convicted six persons for possessing and circulating Fake Indian Currency Notes in May 2009.
Appointed to defend Mohammed Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, Advocate S G Abbas Kazmi on Thursday said he loves challenges and will do his best to abide by the court's decision."The judge has decided to appoint me as the lawyer (of Kasab) and I feel that it is in honour of our nation that Kasab should have a lawyer to defend him," he said.
Judging by the narco analysis report of Mohammed Asif, the medical student recently arrested in the state, it does seem so. Based on this report, Intelligence Bureau officials told rediff.com that leaders of the banned SIMI are having second thoughts about making Karnataka their base
'As of now, it may be best for India to insist that Yameen honours the supreme court rulings and ensures that the next election is free and fair,' says Brigadier S K Chatterji (retd).
A special sessions court on Monday extended the judicial custody of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured in the 26/11 attacks, to March 30. Kasab will be produced through video conferencing before special judge M L Tahilyani on March 30, when the court will examine the provision of appointing a lawyer for him from the state legal aid cell.
They were caught before they executed the attack on January 26.
His lawyers argued in court that the immigration department's unwillingness to hand over the sensitive documents seemed like a cover-up.
The public inquiry panel probing the botched handling of the Mohamed Haneef case on Monday said it will not interview him as it was satisfied with the submission provided by the lawyers of the Indian medic who was wrongly accused of terrorism in Australia.
Former Australia immigration minister Kevin Andrews and AFP chief Mick Keelty, who have both come under immense criticism for their handling of the Haneef case, have welcomed the probe and offered their full co-operation, but have stood by their actions. Meanwhile, an AFP spokesman has conformed that the investigation into Haneef has remained active.
The case dates back to January, 2007 when the man was arrested with an AK series assault rifle, 200 bullets, five hand grenades and a satellite phone by the Karnataka Police.
The Supreme Court on Friday stayed the death sentence of Mohammed Shoeb Kasam Ghansar, a death row convict in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case.
Rohit said he was not overtly worried about that fact that his brigade failed in home conditions
'Gods of different religions haven't warred, so we shouldn't either.'
A Federal court spokesman said Chief Justice Michael Black will hand down his decision on Friday.
Paris attacks suspect Mohamed Abrini was charged on Saturday with "terrorist murders" and confessed he was the man in the hat seen with the suicide bombers at Brussels airport.
Kerala beedi baron Mohammed Nisham, convicted for killing a security guard in a fit of rage by ramming his luxury Hummer, was on Thursday sentenced life imprisonment in addition to 24 years in jail by a court in Thrissur which also slapped a fine of Rs 80.30 lakh on him.
The quantum of sentence will be announced on May eight.
The All India Football Federation's former general secretary has been banned for accepting a payment during Asian Football Confederation (AFC) elections in 2009, FIFA's ethics committee said in a statement on Thursday.
Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for taking part in killing over 200 protesters during the 18-day revolt which began on January 25, 2011, but a retrial was ordered on appeal.
Haneef, 27, who worked as a junior doctor at the Gold Coast Hospital, was charged with "recklessly" providing support to a terrorist organisation on July 14, following 12 days in detention under anti-terror laws.
Pervez Shaikh, Mushtaq Tarani and Abdul Gani Turq were sentenced to death.
While the judiciary remains our most trusted institution, it should debate its internal health, argues Shekhar Gupta.
Special Judge Gyaneshwar Srivastava turned down the prayer of the prosecution on the ground that it would amount to judicial over activism.
On Wednesday, the special MCOCA court in Mumbai awarded death sentences to Kamal Ahamed Ansari, 37, Mohd Faisal Shaikh, 36, Ehtesham Siddiqui, 30, Naveed Hussain Khan, 30 and Asif Khan, 38, for the role they played in the 7/11 Mumbai train blasts, which claimed the lives of 188 people.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Gyaneshwar Prasad Srivastava of the special court in Siwan jail also pronounced a fine of Rs 1,000 on him.
Resuming the pronouncement of sentences in the 1998 serial blasts case on the second day, a Coimbatore court on Thursday awarded double life terms to six convicts and imprisonments ranging from 7 to 21 years to 18 others. Six of them were awarded double life terms and a jail term of 10 to 40 years on various charges which would run concurrently. Twelve convicts were sentenced to undergo 13 years in prison for conspiracy and seven to 21 years on other charges.
The judge sentenced 11 convicts to undergo life imprisonment for one term, 10 to a double life term, and awarded three life terms for one and four life terms for another for conspiracy and imprisonment ranging from three years to 125 years for various charges, while four others were awarded maximum 10 years for conspiracy and nine years to 70 years for different charges.
Afzal's mercy petition is pending with President A P J Abdul Kalam.
Two other accused in the case, Mohammed Naeem Abdul Rahim Khan and Riyaz Siddique, have turned approvers.
Police have said this is normal in such a sensitive case.
designated Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act court on Wednesday announced that it would start pronouncing verdict beginning Thursday on all 31 accused charged with planting bombs to effect the 1993 serial blasts.
Amit Panghal (52kg) picked up his second successive gold medal of the year
By pegging the exact area of the Babri Masjid site at 0.313 acres, and not the original 2.77 acres, the government hopes to be in line with the court ruling in the 1994 Ismail Faruqui case which mentions return of land to original claimants once the exact area needed for acquisition is determined, observes Saisuresh Sivaswamy.
Judge Adrian Fulford said all the four convicts must spend a minimum of 40 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole.
Maldives on Tuesday voiced its 'hurt' at Prime Minister Modi not visiting it
Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef, who was wrongly accused of links to the failed UK terror plot, may try to re-register in Australia and apply for a job at Queensland's Gold Coast Hospital, his lawyer has said.